Modern people are actively moving into apartments, but many are still building private homes. And the most common material for their construction (after wood) is brick. It has many advantages over other building materials, so it has not lost its popularity for decades.
Pros and cons
Brick undoubtedly has advantages, making it extremely popular for private construction.
- Durability. Building a house of such material, there is no doubt that the building will last for many years. The stone is quite resistant to mechanical damage and the consequences of bad weather.
- Security. The big advantage of brick over a tree is the resistance to fire.
- Aesthetics. The brick building does not require any additional exterior finish. The material looks neat and attractive.
- Environmentally friendly. The material is made from simple natural materials without the addition of toxic impurities. It is not a threat to the environment and human health.
- Easy installation. Of course, the coupling must be trusted by professionals to achieve the highest quality result. After a little training, however, almost everyone has a chance to deal with this task.
- Functionality. Brick adds extra important properties to the structure: sound and heat insulation, resistance to precipitation, and temperature changes.
The main drawback of brick is the higher price over wood and some other modern materials. However, if you compare the price with the benefits of the stone and the duration of the service, then it is fully justified.
How to calculate the amount of material?
Before proceeding with the construction process, it is necessary to correctly calculate the volume of raw materials. This is an extremely important point because if the stone is not enough, you need to place an additional order, the delivery of which will entail additional costs.
And in case the material turns out to be too much, you will have to look for the possibility of using it for a long time or selling it at a much lower price.
There is a simple sequence of actions that will help prevent unwanted consequences.
Determination of the wall thickness
The amount of material required is directly dependent on this parameter. In the northern regions, double laying is most often chosen, in the southern single.
The sizes of stone can differ:
- ankle - 65 mm thick
- one and a half - thickness 88 mm
- double thickness is 138 mm.
There is a special table that helps calculate the amount of material for a given building. Calculate the number of raw materials for the house 10x10 meters.
- Add up the length of all the walls of the future house: 10x4 = 40 m.
- Calculate the outer area of the brick walls: 40x3 = 120 square meters. meters, where 3 is the height of one floor. Thus, for a two-story building, the area of the walls is 240 square (40x6). But otherwise, we will make calculations from the example of the project of a single-story building.
Find a specific amount of material. To do this, multiply the area of the walls by the reference amount of brick consumption. In case a double installation is planned, 204 bricks are needed for 1 square meter. Use the formula: 120x204 = 24480 - that's how much stone is needed (including seams).
This material calculation algorithm is quite simple, accurate, and suitable for a house of any size.
Subtleties of calculation
To achieve maximum calculation accuracy, you need to note some nuances.
- Consider the area of door and window openings. When performing calculations, make sure to find the total area of the gaps and subtract it from the area of the outer surface, so the construction will not leave any excess material.
- Don't forget the internal partitions.
The cost and characteristics of stones
Accuracy of calculations helps prevent losses when purchasing material. However, this is not the only factor to consider when buying. So, the two most common types of stones - ceramic and silicate - differ in price, properties, and scope. Remember to consider this when choosing a material. Match the pros and cons and choose the best option for you. However, you should not save on the quality of the material, as this may adversely affect the strength of the structure in the future.
This is not a waste, but a reasonable look ahead. Besides, if you have a broken brick, don't be angry. It will be a great decoration for the garden. For example, you can make beautiful tracks or a frame for flower beds.
Calculate the amount of brick needed for a 100-square-foot house. a meter is a breeze. Use all the tips above and wait for a successful result.